Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

[UNEXPLAiNED PAiNS]

Most people already know that I have a lot of knee problems. I have been going to the orthopedic surgeon since March trying to figure out what is wrong with my knee now since my surgery that I had in March of 2007 was a failure. In May I had a MRI and x-rays done. My MRI showed that I have chondromalacia patella which means that I have damage to the cartilage under my kneecap which causes me a lot of pain. The nurse described it to me as that my cartilage looks like crab meat, it is supposed to be smooth. So I went back to see my doctor last week and did some more test including a strength test for my legs. To mine and my doctors surprise my right knee, which it the messed up one, is actually stronger than my left knee which is kind of weird because of all the problems I have with my right knee. He is and has been very puzzled by my knee. He just cant seem to figure out what is wrong and he only wants surgery to be a last resort. He is also very puzzled about my last surgery that I had. I had a lateral plaque shelf removed, he has never even heard of a lateral plaque shelf which is very strange. So anyway he was telling me about another patient that he had that was about the same age as me and had all of the same symptoms too. he couldn't figure out what was wrong with her either. After months and months of trying to find out what was wrong he finally figured it out. She had a problem controlling the way she walked. It was not an obvious problem because you could not tell from watching her walk but it was causing her a lot of pain. So she did trunk strengthening exercises with a physical therapist and in 4 weeks her problem was solved! Apparently the way you use your upper body to control how you walk can cause you pain if you don't do it right. So he thinks that's what might be wrong with me. I go to my first physical therapy appointment this afternoon. I really hope this works because I don't want to have surgery again. I just don't want to be in pain anymore, or at least not as much pain. So I hope everything goes well! I'm sure it will not be fun but maybe it will be worth it in the end :)

No comments: